Wednesday, August 29, 2012

When Did Spiders Get Claws?

Trogloraptor
Sometimes I don’t realize these complex words that ramble through my head while I’m reading. Whether I know them or not, when I read the text of an article, paper, interview, etc, I read these long terms or phrases that completely shut my brain off. I come across the words, then all of a sudden my mind just powers off like these groups of letters are killing me.

This is why English is an important subject. So we can increase of intelligence and knowledge, our understandings of things. We as a class read this article about a new species of spider that has been discovered. Trogloraptor is what they call it. Trogloraptor is latin for “cave robber”. While we were reading, most the words were simple and easy, but there were a few that stood out. One of the words was “rapacious”, which I now know means aggressive. The spider's name is Latin for "cave robber," a reference to its habitat and rapacious-looking talons. Of course everyone would just be saying use your context clues. I tried that on this word but the things I come up with weren’t close to aggressive.

The spider itself has claws on the ends of its legs. They prey of food by snapping them in its claws as they fly underneath him. Trogloraptors hang from the ceilings of caves until it's time for them to feed. They appear to be a shy species that avoids most creatures to insure its own safety. According to the article they also don't seem to be poisonous to humans.

1 comment:

  1. On the subject of words you don't know: 1) when context clues fail, try classifying the word as either positive or negative based on how it sounds and 2) I hope that everyone will have larger vocabularies come test time just from being exposed to these types of articles. I especially like that you took the time to analyze your reading habits as well as the unfamiliar word.

    ReplyDelete