Sunday, August 26, 2012

What's been learned?

Civics and Economics is the study of government, economy, and citizens rights and citizenship. The class is important in learning since we America as a nation are the most ignorant of all countries because we are the youngest. In the class, we've already learned about citizenship and partially about the process of being naturalized.

What I mean when I say being naturalized is becoming a US citizen. This process is call naturalization. The first step in becoming a citizen is signing the declaration of intention. Step two involves an interview and/or an exam. The citizenship exam usually consists of at least one-hundred questions. The last step is taking the oath of allegiance. You raise your right hand and repeat word for word what the speaker says. Oath below-
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
There are two ways you can become a citizens. The first way is by birth and there are only two ways to become a citizen by birth. The first is to be born in the US(American territory) or born on a military base. The second by birth is born from US citizens outside the US. The second way to become a citizen other than birth is by naturalization.

As citizens we have our duties and our responsibilities. Our duties are things we have to fulfill required by law. Our responsibilities are obligations we should do but can be done voluntarily. The government of the US is considered a bureaucracy. The term means complex systems, many departments, many rules, and a chain of command.

One useless fact that I myself didn't even know of until my civics class was that on the back of every US coin is the Latin phrase "E plurabus unum" which stands for "out of many, one".

No comments:

Post a Comment